The Eastside Community Network (formerly Warren/Conner Development Coalition) has been spearheading community development on Detroit's Lower Eastside for over 30 years. Eastside Community Network works with partners on Detroit's Lower Eastside to drive lasting, positive change in our neighborhoods and communities. This positive transformation is achieved through resident engagement, multi-sector collaborations, advocacy, leadership development and innovative approaches to land development.
ECN acts as a catalyst to improve the quality of life on Detroit’s Eastside
We envision the Lower Eastside of Detroit as a community of choice where residents can live, work, play and thrive. Our comprehensive vision includes:
- A variety of safe neighborhoods that provide options for living: dense residential zones, spacious and large lots, and urban homestead areas offering alternative energy.
- Vacant land repurposed with naturescapes, blue and green infrastructure, and job creating investments.
- Beautiful green thoroughfares connecting all neighborhoods, with strategic shopping centers, community-based organizations and village hubs.
- A strong economy with diverse job and career opportunities for local residents of all ages and skills.
- Improved transportation options that allow residents to move around easily - including walking/biking paths, busses, light rail, redeveloped driving corridors and complete streets.
- Accessible, high-quality schools that graduate young people who are truly prepared for college and post-secondary school life.
- Access to resources that promote healthy lifestyles for youth, families and visitors - including vibrant parks, greenway paths and an unsurpassed regional complex at Chandler Park.
- Neighborhoods that are ethnically and culturally diverse and inclusive, promoting a strong sense of identity and ownership amongst residents.
Through the years ecn has HELPED create community resources including:
- 4 Locally Owned Restaurants
- 12 Head Start Classrooms
- Community Development Bank
- Credit Union
- 2 Primary Health Clinics
- State Motor Vehicle Office
- Adult Tutoring
- Green Infrastructure